Monday, December 12, 2005

My second newsletter from Cheadle Hulme (10th Dec)

Merry Christmas everyone!Can I firstly just wish everyone a happy Christmas and a peaceful new year.

It has been a wee while since my first newsletter from Cheadle Hulme so I thought it'd be good to update you all on goings on here in south Manchester.

I am still busy busy and especially now leading up to Christmas. There are parties, services, Bible studies and so on to be organised but thankfully I'm not in charge of them all! We have had one primary school using our church for their carol service and another one to come. We have parties in the different age groups to either organise or be a part of. I myself have Bible study with the 14+ age group when we'll be looking at the Christmas story and actually studying it, so that should be good.

Work outside of all the Christmas activities has been good and bad. I say bad, I think what I really mean is a bit frustrating. The good first though. I have had so many opportunities to teach, whether that be with the Kids Klub age group (5-9 year olds) or with Nxt_Stop (11-14) or with Impact (14+). I really enjoy doing that if I'm being honest and I love seeing more of God as I prepare each different talk, it's great! I also have such a great team who I work with. Becky, who is the full time youth worker in church, Daniel, who is on a year out and working with a group called Careforce but who is based in our church and also Lynne who doesn't work for the church but who gives of so much time to work with us and be a part of the team. I am so thankful for them all, what a strong team God has put together.

The frustrating things have really been my visits on a Wednesday to Cheadle Hulme School. This was the opportunity I was most excited and looking forward to when I came over here but at the minute, it's just been so stop-start. I have been in one week, then not the next three. Or in one week and not the next. It's been frustrating really.The hardest thing I find about this school is that there is no Jesus. I walk in to classes and, for example, the year 8s (12/13 year olds) tell me that the first book of the Bible is Geneva! Geneva!? That's in Switzerland!

That is the main frustration though. Dealing with different issues that arrive within church life is also all part and parcel of the job too. At least when dealing with those situations no one tells you that Geneva is the first book of the Bible.

I realised in my last newsletter I didn't say much about my living arrangements. I am living with Chris, an English guy and an actor with a Christian theatre company, Peter from South Africa who works in a local pub and Daniel from Mexico who is one of my co-workers. Let me tell you, I am so thankful to God for providing this house and such good guys to live with. Chris, Daniel and I often spend many a long night in Chris' room on the playstation which happens to be linked up to a 55'' plasma screen!

Let me just wrap this up by thanking you all for your support and by updating you on possible prayer requests. Thank you once again for either talking to me, supporting me, praying for me, making me smile or even just taking the time to read this. Thank you.

Please pray for-
1.God to be glorified and shown in all His truth and glory when I am teaching
2.The opportunity and priveledge of Cheadle Hulme School not to be taken away
3.An enjoyable and peaceful break when I'm home between 22nd December and 3rd January
4.For Lynne, Becky, Daniel and I to continue working as a God-filled and God-centred team

Thank you once again for your support.

Let me just end by wishing you all a very happy Christmas and a peaceful new year. Do take time out this Christmas though to remember why Jesus came to earth and just what His life means. He is Christ the Lord.
Jonathan

3 comments:

Janice said...

JONNY WILWIL my love!! it's been a while. i don't really have anything to say, except i love so much and i miss you and keep true to the irish spirit! laughed out loud when i saw your blog address...i have you saying that on tape. it's awesome. love you my dear!

kaylie said...

hey that's my middle name and last name and you have my birthday! you stole it i was born first! good you have a blog now!

Josh said...

I'll be praying for you... Good to hear about what your up to.