Sunday, June 18, 2006

The USA and team talks

Ok, time for a new post.

I have a couple of things to blog about really. One thing I need your opinion on.

The first one -
Well done to the USA on getting a draw against a tough Italian team in the World Cup on Saturday night. To be fair, I think it should be well done on the Italians for getting a draw against the States. The US should have won it! I was so impressed with the USA's style of play on Saturday night and the fact that they looked a completely different side to the one that played the Czech Republic in their first game. Just good stuff.

Also, the other two teams I'm keeping an eye on are going great guns! Ecuador have played 2, won 2 and conceded 0. South Korea have played 2, won 1, drawn 1. Ecuador are already through to the next phase and South Korea look good to go through! Good on em! Especially Ecuador who no-one, absolutely no-one, gave a hope to getting out of their group. Go on Ecuador!

Secondly -
This is still kind of football but I need your opinion on my team talk on Saturday.
So, 9 of our young people from church played in a church football tournament on Saturday. I gave them a wee team talk before their final game and it went a little something like this-

"All my life, I've been searching for something, something never comes, never leads to nothing, nothing satisfies but I'm getting close, closer to the prize at the end of the road. We are the Champions, my friends. We're simply the best, better than all the rest. All right, let's go team!"
Then I forgot to tell them who was playing and in what positions. I got a bit carried away.

So how does that sound for a team talk?

4 comments:

Josh said...

ha ha... a coaches first job is to make sure the team is in a position to win. Not just for insipiring talks. Though it was a very could speech.

Béthany said...

did you see any replays of the ecuador game? That guy who got the last one, he's something else. We play Germany tomorrow, and let me tell you, everybody in the country is pumped for another win...however, the coach is going to start with alot of subs, due to all the yellow cards we've had so far...play it safe. Will probably see England next round.

i saw the South Koreans latest, lucky goal there, almost at 90 minutes, eh? I missed it, I stopped watching when i thought a tie was certain. I wonder how France ever won the Cup 8 years ago...

Pamela Joy said...

Wow was that really 8 years ago that France one world cup? I was in France at the time. 8 years really? That's crazy. I'm getting old.
I'm pretty excited for how both Ecuador and the US are doing. I hope it doesn't come to them playing each other while I'm down there though... I don't think I could cheer against my home guys but I also don't want to get beat to death...
I LOVE you Jonathan. You are SO AMAZING. I didn't write a long extended elated blog post about your amazingness becuase I didn't want to make too many people jealous. But I can't tell you how awesome I think you are right now. AWESOME!!!

Béthany said...

"I LOVE you Jonathan. You are SO AMAZING. I didn't write a long extended elated blog post about your amazingness becuase I didn't want to make too many people jealous. But I can't tell you how awesome I think you are right now. AWESOME!!!"

-Pamela Schnake

I couldn't put it any better myself. THANK YOU, man! I'm wearing the jersey today because I can't really get away with it tomorrow, or the day after. Its a thing of beauty, though, I've even caught myself hoping England get through to the quarter finals so I can wear it again...how disloyal of me! Thanks for all the lovely other items, as well, you really are too much. I've run out of money on my phone for the time being, so i couldn't write you directly. I feel spoiled!