Saturday, June 10, 2006

It has begun...


Well folks,
It is World Cup time.

As I post this, 3 games have been played -
The opening game - Germany 4 - 2 Costa Rica
A great win for wee Ecuador - Poland 0 - 2 Ecuador
And of course - England 1 - 0 Paraguay

The game being played now is Sweden vs. Trinidad and Tobago
This evening's game, 8pm kick-off (12pm west coast), is Argentina vs. Ivory Coast

What a feast!

We are showing, hopefully, 20 games at church and I really feel this is a huge opportunity to reach out the people through football. Please, can you pray for this please? We had 16 people today, including Daniel and myself. He brought some friends along who are working on the same year out as him but we also had 4 young people from Nxt_Stop our 11-14 year olds group, that was great!

Yeah, using football to speak about God is such a massive way to get the Word out there.

Please, also remember the Christian footballers in the World Cup. I'm not sure how many there are but I know some of the Brazilian team like Lucio and I think Kaka are Christians along with at least one guy from South Korea who is only 20 - Park Chu Young (that's him in the picture above). Pray for those guys. Please pray that they can share their faith on the biggest stage for football and their fellow pros would see a difference in their lives both on and off the pitch.

God bless the World Cup!

4 comments:

Pamela Joy said...

I know a Christian footballer in the world cup! My dear friend Tim who happens to be goalie for the U.S.
That's a good call about praying for it.

Anonymous said...

haha we had the football in our church...like actuarly in the church...it was fun but the pews weren't very comfortable!!

Leslie Puiras said...

World Cup.. i can't escape it. Even people here are excited (and thats huge because people where I live don't get excited about sports unless its hockey.. they're less about sports and more about.. livestock)

ANYWAY, i responded to your post on my blog. (the direct response is on my blog) Love yah.

Josh said...

Hey mate did you catch the US vs. Italy game. It was a thriller.