Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Greatest Band on the Planet...

So I saw the greatest band on the planet on Tuesday night...

Yeah, that's right, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They were amazing. I've been trying to think of other words to use to describe them and the whole experience and all I can come up with is amazing. I mean, there are other words but they just don't touch it or sum it up quite like, "amazing". They were just, amazing.

They did an amazing set for like 2 hours. I won't even talk about the support band, "!!!" pronounced, "Chuh, chuh, chuh". They were just awful. That's it. That's all you get on them. Who cares really when the Chilis were just amazing!

2 hours was not long enough. They did quite a few from the new album - Tell Me Baby, Dani California, Snow (Hey Oh), Strip My Mind, Warlocks, Charlie, think that might have been it. They did Nobody Weird Like Me from their 4th album, Mother's Milk. I did not expect anything from before Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik but as Anthony put it, "Let's go way back, way back, back". Yeah, it's an old one really!
They did I Could Have Lied off Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik too, that was superb. They even did Soul To Squeeze which I didn't know they actually do live. For years it was only on the Coneheads soundtrack until it was released on their Greatest Hit album a couple of years ago. So that was a treat really.

They opened with Can't Stop, which they opened with last time I saw them, still great! What an opening! They also did Californication, Throw Away Your Television, Scar Tissue, By The Way, a superb version of Fortune Faded and finished with Give It Away. I think that Give It Away is my favourite ever Chili's song. It used to be Californication but I think it's now Give It Away.
They didn't do Under The Bridge which I expected as they do at most shows from what I know but hey, we still had a great set and I'm not complaining!

John had his now regular solo. Not sure what song it was but it's always funny seeing him on his own doing a wee 2 minute bit.

The whole show was amazing. I hope you can see from the pictures that on the back of the stage there was a huge panel of lights that were also on the roof of the arena which made for mad lights and effects! They even had 4 video screens that moved along the back wall, amazing. I think for me one of the most exciting aspects of the show was the fact that in Chad's kick-bass was a light that lit up everytime he kicked the bass! His snare drums also had lights in them that lit up when hit. Amazing!

The whole show finished at the end of their encore with John and Flea doing a 10 minute instrumental, 5 minutes of which they had Chad with them. Flea then proceeded to walk towards the steps, once finished, on his hands with his legs straight up in the air! Fantastic! What a night. What a band.

PS-They play Portland on August 11th as well as other American and Canadian dates. Check their site for more dates

PPS-Struggling with pictures at the moment so will try again. If you have a myspace, check them on my myspace page

PPPS-Ok, so I think the pictures are too big, bare with me while I try to post them on here or on myspace

2 comments:

Pamela Joy said...

Exciting! I can´t even say how amazing that must have been for you! I´ll have to tell my brothers about the portland date...

Megs said...

so pretty much i think i'm the only one in the world that doesn't really like the "greatest band on the planet" but evertime i hear them...well almost everytime *which is a lot* i think of: first sarah, because that was like one of the only cd's she had whenever we went to listen to something while playing ping pong, and then you cuz you had em all while we were painting copious amounts of theme park signs for encounter *so long ago hey!!!*
yep it's true. i'm glad you had fun buddy i really am!