Saturday, August 26, 2006

Myspace, whoo hhaaaa haaa haaaaaa!

So it would seem that myspace is taking over.

I agree with Lesbo, more freedom to choose style, layouts etc and you get to know more of people at first glance. I do agree Lesbo.

It's kind of like e-mailing but with more colours and personality to it. You can of course message each other on myspace, leave a comment or, like with my myspace, leave a message on my fridge with magnetic letters. Fun, fun, fun.

I am scrumpy_jon at myspace. www.myspace.com/scrumpy_jon

You know, a good friend of mine, John Allan, you might have heard of him (John, if by some chance you are reading this, I thought you were a great lecturer at Bible school but you don't know me from Adam so don't fret), wrote a superb article in August's edition of 'Youthwork' magazine here in the UK. He wrote about the potential for myspace if you're a youth worker or work with young people in any capacity. You can advertise events at your church by looking up those young people in your area and start up or join groups that have online Bible studies and discussion forums to talk about God and so on.
It was a great article and John Allan writes each month for Youthwork magazine on websites that are useful for youth work and for young people.

I do think myspace is helpful. It is addictive though isn't it?! You find yourself getting sucked into a fake world where you have 100s of 'friends' and all you know about them is what information they provide for you on their profile and what kind of music they listen to.

It is enjoyable and good fun to be on but it becomes unhelpful and unnatural when you spend more time looking for 'friends' than you do communicating with what friends you really do have from the real world and from before myspace even existed.

1 comment:

Pamela Joy said...

Noooo! EEwww! Die myspace Die! "more freedom to choose" = ugly as SIN! If I wanted to e-mail with "color" I'd use hotmail "stationary!" If I wanted to be a 12 year old I'd use myspace! More than one very attractive young man has asked me to look him up on myspace in the interest of maintaining our friendship- and you know what I did! Nothing! Myspace isn't even worth that!! It's HORRIBLE.

Haha, sorry to rain on your parade. I am happy to let each hold his own opinion on this topic and I am glad you are enjoying your new site. I do hope you continue to blog here though, becuase I have to tell you... I don't check myspaces.