Saturday, March 03, 2007

A Musically Blessed Week

Hello again everyone,
I was just having a wee joke there about the old Basil McCrea. It wasn't a real blog. It was just a resurrection of an old, yet very funny joke. Basil McCrea.
Anyway, on with the blog...

So I really have had a blessed week that has involved a lot of music it would seem.

I saw The Feeling at the Apollo in Manchester on Tuesday night. They put on a good show but I wasn't as impressed with them musically but I think part of that was that 1. I have listened to their album and wasn't a huge, super, big fan to start with and 2. The Fray were supporting them and if you've not heard the Fray, they are superb! I think I was so impressed by the Fray that by the time the Feeling came on I was ready to go home.

The Feeling did do covers of The Buggles, 'Video Killed the Radio Star' (that was the highlight of the Feeling for me) and Queen, 'Fat Bottomed Girls'. Of course, they had everyone singing along with, 'I love it when you call'.

The blessing on Tuesday night came, not really from the music, but by being back with old friends. Matt, Lee and I went together and it was just great for the three of us to hang out like that. Lee and I got a bit lost on the way to the Apollo, as did Matt who was going separately from us. Ohh how we laughed! It was just fantastic that the three of us could hang out like that and enjoy a gig together. Good stuff.

I think the biggest thing for me this week was being in Poynton High for the Big Deal with Blush. I was only in on Thursday and Friday as I had other commitments Monday-Wednesday but it was cracker to be in with Blush and with Sue on those two days. It was the first time I had seen a full day too. At Hazel Grove High I had popped in and out with Andrew to see bits of lessons but hadn't seen what it was like at breaktime, at lunchtime and other times outside lessons. The Christian pupils in Poynton High really encouraged me as they were just so up for the Blush girls being in and supporting them as well as being so friendly to the rest of us. It was super to get to know Nic, Jess and Lucy a bit better too when we had free periods between classes.

The gig on the Friday night went well. Not sure what the response to the Gospel was but I know a few young people went to some of the response team and gave them details about themselves so we'll see what that looks like on Monday morning when we're back in the office.

The skip that was set fire to at the back of the school did cause some disruption at the end of the gig though...

But everyone was safe and sound when all was said and done. God is good.

You know (and here's the deep and meaningful bit), the heart of what we do at Christians in Schools is relationships. It been amazing to see how, since joining Christians in Schools, God has really shown me, very clearly, what relationships are about.
Since joining, He has given me new, great, wonderful relationships and at the same time, He has given me other relationships that have been tough and challenging.
It's like He has cleared everything aside and put relationships under a microscope just so I can study them, enjoy them and love them so much more than I ever have done. He really has brought into sharp focus what it means to relate to people.
It's not easy, it's not always a joy but when He does bless those relationships, when you do put yourself second and focus on God, and God alone first, then that's when you see how rewarding, fulfilling, encouraging and special those relationships really can be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

what? the fray were the opening act? crazy british concerts. there concerts are selling out so fast here i couldn't get tickets! sad day!

shinbone #4 said...

That is very cool...
And Jonny you've been blogging up a storm these days. I am pleasantly surprised, I'll have to swing by more often.

Anonymous said...

Thought I would do this via your blog this time and NOT via text!! hope you're impressed!!!

Paul and Evonne said...

i think you should be proud of yer mammy!! chat soon x

Caleb said...

"I'm Basil Mccrea! Vote for me, cause i'm Irish just like you! ah the memories...such a fun day. that was the day you took us to the bridge where the UDA shoots out your knee caps, good freakin times! plus i was just thinkin...how did we fit so many ppl into your folks place and not kill e/o? only by the grace of God.
hey thanks for the voicemails today! good to hear from ya. when you called back the second time, i had just gone back to work. lame. i'll talk to ya this weekend though fo-shizzle

Anonymous said...

I apologize that Caleb said fo-shizzle, he needs to work on that one.

Anonymous said...

t's such a important site. cool, acutely fascinating!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.niedoscigniony.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/opony,s,3020/]opony[/url]